Monday, August 31, 2009

Top 3 uses of blogs in the classroom...

After reading the textbook, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms (2nd Ed.) by Will Richardson, I really got a lot of ideas about what types of things I could use a blog for in my language classroom and with my students.

I think that since I'm just starting out, I can handle developing a simple blog in which I can list daily homework assignments, classwork, a brief review of what was learned, etc. The students and parents would have the link to the blog, and would be able to visit it each day to review homework, review how to do various things (conjugate verbs, etc.), or see what they missed if they were absent. I can also post links to helpful websites that my students can use to do review activities, play games, or enrich their cultural understanding of Spanish speaking countries. I could also post links to newspapers from various countries, and news articles about important things going on around the world. I'm thinking that eventually I would allow students to comment on each blog with their homework questions, questions in general about material, things they would like to learn, etc. Then, I can address these comments the following day in class. It would get the students interacting with the material, and would allow me to become familiar with blogging and using it in the classroom.

Once I become more familiar with blogging and its potential, I could see how it would be useful to use blogs to connect my students with other Spanish-speaking students, or with other students learning the language. As I was reading, I had a thought that I could get together with one of my colleagues who teaches in another district, and our students could each develop their own blog. My colleague and I could put together groups of students who would interact with each other on their blogs (this could be divided by ability, mixed groups, etc.). Each group of students would receive the URL of the blogs for the students in their groups. My colleague and I could then discuss what the topic of the week would be, for example, and our students would write their own blog entry, and then comment on the blogs of their group members. This could be done in Spanish or English, depending on the requirement for the blog post. This not only allows us to assess our students' abilities, but also allows the students to use the language in meaningful ways, and share their thoughts with others. My only concern is how to monitor what my students are posting, how or if I should correct the errors on their posts, and whether class time should be dedicated to posting, or if students should work on their blogs outside of class. There are a lot of logistics that would need to be developed, and I would have to be sure my administration was on board, but I feel like it would really be a motivational tool for my students, and educational at the same time.

I also was thinking of using the blogs to enhance student writing. I could have each student develop their own blog, or have them comment on my blog posts. Each day, or each week, I would give the students a "story starter" or something to blog about, and the students would be required to complete the story starter, complete the sentence, or blog about a specific topic (either in their own blog, or in the comment section of my blog). This would allow students to practice writing, and also let me see how each student is progressing. I am thinking it would be easier for me if I developed a separate blog for each of my classes, so that it is easier to keep track of who is and is not responding. If I tried to have all 5 classes comment on one blog I would give myself a headache trying to keep track of everyone.

I think that the use of blogs in the classroom has a LOT of potential. My only concern is how to get enough computer time each class period or each week to do a lot with them.

4 comments:

  1. Kimberly,
    I'm glad that you see the potential for using blogs but are also considering all of the logistics involved. I think your idea of starting out with a class blog for posting assignments, class activites and useful websites sounds like a good place to start.
    If you decide to let the students have individual blogs, you could set the comment section so that you could monitor comments before they were posted. At the same time, you don't want to add to your work load exponentially. It would probably be a good idea to think about what writing the students now do and decide is having a real audience for this writing through a blog would help them or not. As you will see in mod 3, you can put the URLs of the student blogs in your own/class blog so that you have an easy way to access them and see when something new has been posted.
    You have some great ideas. Just remember to start small and work your way up to using blogs to the max if they will enhance your curriculum.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the idea of having your students blog with other students outside of the classroom is great becuase it is so important to use language in a purposeful setting. This would allow you to get their language use out of the contrived setting of the classroom and into the real world.

    It would be great to make them retrieve information from the other students (like a scavenger hunt of information) so that langauge was used to do real work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that starting small is the best way to go. However, a lot of school districts now encourage teachers to create their teacher webpages through the school district webpage. On these webpages, there are really easy tools that can be used to create calendars, HW assignment posts, and to upload resources like Power Points.
    In terms of Blogging though, I really liked your idea about creating a space for students to write. Whether through a writing prompt or an individually chosen writing topic, students would have the unique opportunity to reflect and express their thoughts. This is an especially great resource for those of us who teach foreign languages as it would provide us with a means of watching students' writing progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim don't worry about not having enough computers in your school. Schools now are having computers as the main use in the classroom. I work in the buffalo city schools and in the school I work at, we use the Smart Board and by the year 2015 all the city schools will have computerlize Smart Boards in every classroom. I am glad that you are so excited about using blogs and I hope that you do use it.

    ReplyDelete